The Droitwich Canal is formed from two smaller sections of canal which were both constructed to carry salt.
The Droitwich Barge Canal was opened first in 1771 to link the River Seven to Droitwich Spa; while the Droitwich Junction Canal opened in 1854 and linked Droitwich to the Worcester and Birmingham Canal. The Barge Canal is 9.3 km (5.8 mi) long and has 8 wide locks. The Junction Canal is narrower, is 2.4 km (1.5 mi) long and has seven locks.
The abandoned waters were reopened in 2011 to create a new cruising ring for pleasure boaters and also to protect alternative habitats for the wildlife displaced by the canals’ dredging. Worcester and District Amateur Angling Club manages fishing on the canal.
There are walks covering a variety of lengths along the canals’ towpaths, including a circuit of the Droitwich Ring with some minor detours where the path disappears.