Lying near the southern tip of the Isle of Portland, Dorset is Pulpit Rock. It is an artificial rock stack jutting out from the rocky coast at Portland Bill. The stack is not a natural geological formation, but was created in the 1870’s when a natural arch of rock was cut away by workmen from the Bill Quarry.
The sea area around the Rock is rich in wrasse, making it a popular location for local fishermen who use it as favored location for casting lines into the deep water kelp beds. There are plenty of fish to catch in addition to Wrasse including mackerel, pollack, eels, garfish and cod.
Tourists visit Pulpit Rock and the lighthouses of Portland Bill regularly; it is so popular with locals and visitors alike in fact that often the rock is overcrowded and late arrivers will have to make do fishing from the platforms of rock on either side of Pulpit. It is important to mention that fishing is only possible around the bottom of the tide.
The Portland Bill lighthouse that overlooks Pulpit Rock was built in 1906 and a guided tour describes its history. There are numerous lighthouses on the Isle of Portland which, despite its name, is connected to the mainland by a sandbank, which forms part of Chesil Beach.