Duncansby Head is a sandstone cliff about 64 m (210 ft) high and the most north-easterly point of the Scottish mainland, further north-east even than John o’Groats, which often claims that distinction. It is marked by Duncansby Head Lighthouse, built in 1924 and automated in 1997.
The cliff lies within the Duncansby Head Site of Special Scientific Interest, which also includes the Duncansby Stacks, two dramatic and much photographed rock pinnacles to be found just off the coast. There is also a rocky arch, named Thirle Door. The area features grassy clifftop walking with a few boggy patches, with spectacular views to the north over Orkney and west to John o’ Groast and Dunnet Head.