The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal links the Trent and Mersey Canal at Great Haywood in Staffordshire with the River Severn at Stourport in Worcestershire. It is 74 km (46 mi) long and has 43 locks.
Opened in 1772, it was constructed as part of a larger plan to connect Hull, Liverpool and Bristol by waterway. Linking with other canals, it is part of the Four Counties, the Warwickshire, the Stourport and the Avon Canal Rings.
After it ceased to be used for trade, it was reclassified as a cruiseway and designated a Conservation Area, so still retains many of its historical buildings and features along the route. The long distance Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Walk runs along the towpath.