Forth and Clyde Canal is a canal which crosses central Scotland and it was opened in 1790. It is 56 km (35 mi) long and it races from the River Carron, at Grangemouth, to the River Clyde , at Bowling. The highest side of it crosses nearby Kilsyth and it is supplied there by an aqueduct which collects water from (the scope built) Birkenburn Reservoir in the Kilsyth Hills, stocked in another scope-built called Townhead, near Banton, from where it supplies the canal via a feeder from the Shawend Burn,near Craigmarloch. The canal keeps past Twechar, via Kirkintilloch and Bishopbriggs to the Maryhill area north of Glasgow town centre. A line to Port Dundas was constructed to provide the arrangement and financial support of Glasgow traders who feared losing business if the canal avoided them entirely.